Police Blotter: Baby Left Out in the Cold

Posted on 13 November 2009

Baby Left in the Cold
Southampton Town Police have arrested a 20-year-old Bridgehampton woman for leaving her four-month-old infant in the parking lot of Schmidt’s Market on Friday, November 6. According to police, Gilda Rojas left her baby in a car seat by the side of the building. Rojas then allegedly left the scene as she was reportedly verbally fighting with an unidentified male. Police say the baby was alone for 15 minutes in cold weather and was wearing “improper clothing.” Neighbors found the infant in the parking lot after hearing crying. Rojas is said to have returned to Schmidt’s, 1282 North Sea Road, Southampton, before police arrived, but both she and her baby were taken to police headquarters in Hampton Bays. Rojas was charged with one count of endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor. Child protective services were also made aware of the incident.
John Hollyer, 43, of Sag Harbor, was pulled over by Sag Harbor Village Police on Monday, November 9, for allegedly speeding in a school zone. Police say Hollyer was stopped on Hampton Street where they discovered his license was suspended for an insurance lapse and failing to answer three summons dating back to October 25, 2009. Hollyer faces charges of speeding, a violation, and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, a misdemeanor.

On Saturday, November 7, Southampton Town Police say they pulled over Kevin Street, 45, of Bridgehampton for speeding on the Bridgehampton/Sag Harbor Turnpike. When the officer attempted to stop the car, Street allegedly pulled into a private driveway. Police say Street then fled to the front porch of the home where there was a group of aggressive, albeit restrained, pit bulls. A female passenger, Kristen Morgan, 26, of East Hampton remained in the car and was later escorted out by police. According to police, after additional officers arrived at the scene, Street left the porch. Police say Street had an active bench warrant for his arrest out of Southampton Town for a larceny charge. Street now faces the charges of obstructing governmental administration in the second degree, a misdemeanor, aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, a misdemeanor, and speeding, a violation.

Morgan also had an active probation warrant with Suffolk County.

Vicente Procel, 28, of Riverhead was pulled over by a Southampton Town Police officer in Water Mill on Tuesday, November 3, for allegedly having insufficient taillights. After stopping Procel, police say the officer discovered that Procel’s license had been revoked. He faces charges of aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the second degree, a misdemeanor.
On Tuesday, November 3, Southampton Town Police say William Perez was involved in a car accident on Montauk Highway in Bridgehampton. Perez, 30, of Riverhead allegedly hit a parked car and continued driving. According to police, Perez eventually stopped after driving a quarter mile down the road. Police say they discovered that Perez’s license was suspended for failing to answer a summons. He faces charges of leaving the scene of an accident with property damage, misdemeanor, and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, a misdemeanor.

Southampton Town Police pulled over Jose Escalante, 36, of Mastic for a traffic violation on Monday, November 2, at the intersection of Noyac Path and Little Noyac Path. Police say a check of Escalante’s license revealed that it had been suspended for an insurance lapse. Escalante faces charges of aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, a misdemeanor.
David Chapin, 44, of Sag Harbor was pulled over by Southampton Town Police on Lumber Lane in Bridgehampton on Wednesday, October 28, for a traffic violation. Police say they discovered that Chapin’s license was also suspended for failing to pay his insurance. He faces charges of aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, a misdemeanor.
On Sunday, November 1, a Westhampton resident was partying at a Bridgehampton Turnpike restaurant, which doubles at a club, when a female friend was allegedly aggressively escorted out of the building by a bouncer. The Westhampton man told police that the woman was grabbed and picked up by the neck. The man’s girlfriend allegedly started fighting with the bouncer over the treatment of her friend when the man started talking to the bouncers, looking for an explanation. He was then picked up by a different bouncer and taken out of the club. Outside, two other bouncers allegedly started punching the man in the face and head. A different bouncer was reportedly holding back the man’s girlfriend. Three days later, on November 4, the man went to Wilson Memorial Regional Medical Center to treat a maxillary fracture, double vision, swelling, bruising and substantial pain to the face and left eye. Police say they haven’t discovered the identities of the bouncers at this time.

A Bridgehampton couple reported to Southampton Town Police that four flat screen televisions were stolen from their home. The couple had left the house on October 23 and returned on Friday, November 6, to find the front door unlocked. Police say the burglar or burglars entered through a front window, first removing the screen with a screwdriver. ADT, the couple’s alarm company, said an alarm wasn’t set off during the stunt. The total value of the televisions is around $30,000. The couple added that two pillows, worth a total of $200, and eight placemats, worth a total of $300, were also stolen from the home.

Be Sociable, Share!

This post was written by:

- who has written 496 posts on The Sag Harbor Express.

Contact the author

Leave a Reply

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off-topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Terms of Service