Posted on 09 October 2013

burglary

By Kathryn G. Menu

Sag Harbor Village Police have charged Devin K. Brevard, 17, of Sag Harbor with multiple counts of felony burglary among other charges in connection to a rash of burglaries in the village this summer.

According to Sag Harbor Village Police Detective Jeffrey Proctor, other arrests related to the cases are imminent.

From July through September, police have been investigating a spate of burglaries throughout Sag Harbor and around the village. Often, suspects entered the homes by cutting into screen doors and windows. While alcohol thefts appeared to connect the burglary cases, eventually, said police, the thefts escalated into other items, including electronics.

Police said Brevard was arrested on Monday on the Sag Harbor/Bridgehampton Turnpike around 4:20 p.m. and charged with eight counts of felony burglary in the second degree. In addition, Brevard was charged with one count of felony grand larceny in the third degree for allegedly stealing a motor vehicle and four counts of misdemeanor criminal possession of stolen property in the fourth degree after police said they searched the defendant’s home and were able to recover several of the stolen items taken from the burglaries.

According to Detective Proctor, Brevard and his mother consented to a search of his home.

“I can tell you we did recover several items, mostly electronics and jewelry, which is consistent with the burglaries that occurred,” said Detective Proctor.

Detective Proctor added that Brevard has provided police with a written confession and that with this arrest eight of the 15 burglaries reported in the three month period appear to be solved.

“It’s really a kind of cut and dry case,” said Detective Proctor. “This was just basically the result of going back to Police 101, going door-to-door and shaking trees. Eventually people started talking.”

Detective Proctor, mum on most details regarding the case, said eventually they were able to link the defendant to a burglary at Pierson Middle/High School on September 16.

According to a police report filed with village police last month, on September 16 three iPhones and one iPod was reported stolen from the shop classroom, which was unlocked after school hours while the owners of those devices were attending a cross-country meet.

There were several sporting events happening at the time of the theft, according to the incident report.

Detective Proctor said he expected other arrests in connection to the cases. On Tuesday morning, Brevard was arraigned in Sag Harbor Justice Court and released by Justice Andrea Schiavoni on $2,000 cash bail.

Sag Harbor Village Police are asking anyone who may have information regarding these cases call 725-0623.

11 Responses to “17-Year-Old Sag Harbor Resident Charged in Connection to String of Burglaries This Summer”

1. Joe Freydah says:

$2,0000.00 bail seems ridiculous for 8 burglary’s?

2. Tim says:

Bail is not a form of punishment but a way to increase the likelihood that a suspect will show up for trial without the necessity of imprisoning a “presumed innocent” person in the meantime. The amount of bail is related to the risk of flight, the safety of the public, and the nature of the crime. In this case it appears we have a young person with ties to the community, possibly no violent past, and burglaries in which no one was injured and nothing of high value was taken. Yes there were multiple instances and the value of what was taken seems to have been increasing over time, so it is good that police work stopped this before it escalated to a level in which a higher bail might have been justified. Now comes the difficult part of figuring out how to get this young person on a positive track and the age old punishment-rehabilitation quandary. Here I have no answer.

3. Corey says:

I just want to say thank you to the Sag Harbor police dept. Great job!!! So happy you’re all here to protect and serve.

4. Wilver says:

Tim, perhaps he can move next door to you and you may help with this young mans rehab?How does a young person who lives in Sag Harbor school district attend Bridgehampton High School?

5. ESP says:

He’s a repeat offender in the process of “rehabilitation”.
    WTF
    I certainly do not want him on my street!
    I’ve been broken into before, it sucks!
    Now I read he went into Pierson Gym while the athletes are at a sporting event?
    Blatant disregard for the Community and his piers personal property.
    I am pissed!!
    What’s the answer for this young man? Not sure, but I am glad he got caught and I hope I don’t see him around my house while he is out on bail.

6. Tim says:

Hi Wilver,
    You may be missing my point.
    No matter what happens in court, he is not going to be put in jail for the rest of his life nor should he be.
    Yes, he will be living next to someone, somewhere. It could be next to me, or it could be next to you.
    That is why I was focusing on rehab – not because I am soft on crime but because I am practical. We are not doing a good job in convincing young people who get in trouble, that the road they are headed down will result in a miserable life for them. How you do that by beating them up with a stick or feeding them more carrots or some combination of the two, is an important question.

7. Tom Mac says:

With all the b.s. The Police have put up with they still have done and will continue to do their job. Well done

8. Old Timer says:

My neighbor’s house located in the heart of the village was burglarized this summer. Electronics were among the items stolen. Apparently, the perpetrator just walked in an open door in broad daylight while the occupants were not at home. The perpetrator is very lucky he chose my neighbor’s door knob instead of mine. I never leave my door unlocked when I am not at home. If my door IS unlocked, I AM home. Walk into my house unannounced or unexpected, and there is a very good chance that you will end up looking at the wrong end of a .357 magnum!

My neighbor has learned his lesson. He locks his doors now. This isn’t the Sag Harbor of the 1950′s when everyone left their front door unlocked. Unfortunately, in this day and age, there is no place in America where anyone should feel comfortable doing that. Some might called me overly cautious, but there is an old saying:

“Just because you accept the fact that you may be paranoid, does not negate the fact that there are people out there who would do you harm!”

It appears that this summer’s spate of burglaries was the work of a misguided yute or yutes, if you’re a fan of the movie My Cousin Vinnie? Hopefully he/they will get their act together?

In any case, remember that you are responsible for your own safety. How you chose to do that is entirely up to you.

9. Missy says:

Sometimes we as parents need to be more involved in our kids life, for example do random checks in there room asked question. No child of mine could do something like that because if he’s not working its my place to question everything that come through my door..

10. Damon says:

So why did the police show up at my house this am looking for him saying that he gave my address as his own when the article says that the police already searched his house? Very strange.

11. Bob says:

How about the white guy that was arrested for a string of burglaries. There are no comments under that story. No one called for him to be run out of town or threatened the use of guns if it were to happen to them. No comments about this is not the old Sag Harbor it used to be. No comments at all. Yet people call for this kid to be thrown under the prison .