Blaze in Noyac Likely Caused by Chimney

Posted on 06 March 2013

SHExpress4

Photo by Cully/EEFAS

By Kathryn G. Menu

A Tuesday blaze that destroyed a Noyac residence listed for sale for $6 million likely started because of a rotted chimney flue pipe, according to Sag Harbor Volunteer Fire Department Chief Pete Garypie. However, the Southampton Fire Marshal will ultimately determine the cause of the fire, which kept firefighters from several departments on the scene for close to five hours.

IMG_3354

According to Garypie, homeowners at the residence, located at 60 Fourteen Hills Court off Middle Line Highway, went outside to get more wood for their fireplace when they heard a crackling sound. Looking up, they realized the roof was on fire and called 911.

The Sag Harbor Volunteer Fire Department was activated around 11 a.m., and according to Garypie by the time they arrived on the scene flames had already vented through the roof. The department, which called in tankers from Springs, East Hampton, Bridgehampton, North Sea and Southampton, and had Amagansett Fire Department standing by at its Brick Kiln Road headquarters, battled the blaze for several hours, only returning all units back into service at 5:40 p.m. Tuesday night.

IMG_3438

Garypie said by the time firefighters arrived on the scene entering the house through the front door was no longer an option, as the home already suffered a partial floor and ceiling collapses.

“We had to use a semi interior and exterior tactic to get at the fire,” he said.

The home, said Garypie, suffered extensive damage as a result of the fire, which he believes was started by a rotted flue pipe in the chimney. The chimney was a pre-fabricated fireplace, with a metal flue boxed in wood — not masonry.

“We were able to get it under control within 20 to 25 minutes,” said Garypie.

However, he added departments remained on hand to ensure pockets of fire were extinguished as debris was moved from the residence.

On Tuesday night, the department was called back into action at the residence after debris began to smolder again, although Garypie said the situation was well within hand within 10 minutes time.

According to the Douglas Elliman Real Estate listing on the property, the residence was 10,000 square feet, with five bedrooms and five baths. An extensive collection of modern art was featured throughout the home.

Be Sociable, Share!

This post was written by:

- who has written 2474 posts on The Sag Harbor Express.


Contact the author

Leave a Reply

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off-topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Terms of Service

Follow The Express…


Pictures of the Week - See all photos