Cops: Card Player Pulled Shotgun

Posted on 28 September 2011


By Claire Walla

It could have been a scene out of the Wild West. After a few drinks, a game of cards and a verbal altercation, a man who was forced to leave a local party returned an hour later with a Western Field .410 gauge bolt-action shotgun and pointed it at another man’s stomach witnesses say — the gun was loaded.

Above: Image of a Western Field .410 gauge bolt-action shotgun.

The man, Michael J. Shipkoski, 54, of Sag Harbor, was charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree, a felony, and menacing in the second degree, a misdemeanor, according to Sag Harbor Village. He is currently being held in the Riverhead Jail on $20,000 bail and is scheduled to face grand jury trial today, September 29.

According to an incident report, Shipkoski and another man had been drinking alcohol and playing cards at a residence on Hildreth Street in Sag Harbor in the early hours of Sunday, September 25 when the trouble started. Detective Jeff Proctor further explained that the man told Shipkoski he was going in for hernia surgery sometime this week, and when he lifted his shirt to show where, Shipkoski allegedly punched him in the stomach.

“That got everyone’s attention,” Proctor explained. And a group of people at the party ushered Shipkoski out the door, reportedly telling him not to come back. According to the report, Shipkoski yelled “I’m going to kill you!” as he exited the premises.

“About an hour later, [Shipkoski] comes walking down the driveway with a shotgun and points it at the man’s stomach,” Proctor said. The four to five people who remained at the party reportedly wrestled the gun away from him, told the man to leave and called the police.

Shipkoski then allegedly fled the scene. Proctor said the man left the party on foot, but police did not know where he actually went. And even though they called on a K-9 unit, Shipkoski remained missing for several hours.

He was finally located sometime after 5 a.m. when his wife returned home to find him there. She allegedly told police her husband was diabetic, and reported that the amount of alcohol he consumed may have caused this episode. Shipkoski was first transported to Southampton Hospital for treatment before returning to Sag Harbor Police Headquarters for morning arraignment.

According to Proctor, Shipkoski has a criminal history on the East End. Though he has only been charged with one prior count of menacing by Southampton Town Police back in 1978, he has several charges to his name, primarily involving drugs and alcohol.

Be Sociable, Share!

This post was written by:

- who has written 485 posts on The Sag Harbor Express.

Contact the author

Leave a Reply

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off-topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Terms of Service

Follow The Express…

Pictures of the Week - See all photos