Fight to Dig Into IB

Posted on 27 April 2011

By Claire Walla

In the ongoing effort to bring a school-wide curriculum that digs deeper into subject matter, Sag Harbor School Board Member Ed Drohan said he would like to see the board do the same.

Drohan urged members of the board last Monday, April 25 to form a committee that would investigate the International Baccalaureate (IB) program in greater depth, studying both the schools where it’s failed, as well as the places where it’s found success.

“I’ve heard the undercurrent [of discontent] from people when I leave here,” he said. “I’ve heard the moaning: how does it affect AP?”

Drohan was quick to add that he’s supported the process as it’s taken shape so far.

“I’m not criticizing at all what’s been done,” he said. “I’m just saying, this is a big, big step.”

With a deeper study, he continued, “wouldn’t we have a lot of conscious relief? Couldn’t we feel like we had the support of the entire community?”

Parent Richard Kudlak and community member Elena Loreto, both of whom attended Monday’s meeting, agreed.

“I went to a meeting of the PTA when principal [Jeff] Nichols gave a presentation on IB,” Kudlak told the board during the meeting’s open discussion period. “I thought it was a wonderful idea and if my children had been raised from the beginning with those principals in mind, it would have been great. But, can a school our size make this work? It’s just about accountability [and] making sure we’re doing the right thing before we move through with this.”

Some board members did not share Drohan’s concerns.

“We’ve been talking about this for three years,” said school board president Walter Wilcoxen. “I know the curriculum committee has looked at it backwards and forwards and we’ve heard from other districts.”

Board member Chris Tice said she would be hesitant to put a committee together to go out into the field to study the program’s successes and failures.

“I want the educational experts in our district to say whether [IB] works or it doesn’t,” she commented.

But, backing Drohan, board member Theresa Samot said, “I think we may need to do a little more work to see where [IB] hasn’t succeeded.”

And Sag Harbor School Superintendent Dr. John Gratto agreed the idea “has merit.”

Though at this point a committee is not set to be formed, Dr. Gratto said he will put effort into gaining more information from schools where the IB program has not worked, and then provide that information at a board meeting in May when a comprehensive IB presentation is slated to be given.


In other news…


School board president Walter Wilcoxen explained that the school board and Youth Advocacy Resource Development (YARD) officials are still continuing discussions as to the future of the YARD program. Documents are currently being reviewed by the school’s attorney. Both parties will meet again on May 6 with their attorney and the school’s insurance company.

“At this point, we can’t do a thing without the insurance review,” Wilcoxen said.

Wilcoxen also announced the resignation of the district’s technology director Elliot Kaye, who will be taking a job in another district closer to his home, effective May 6.

“We owe him a great deal of thanks,” Wilcoxen added.

Be Sociable, Share!

This post was written by:

- who has written 485 posts on The Sag Harbor Express.


Contact the author

2 Responses to “Fight to Dig Into IB”

  1. Sean O'Neill says:

    children are being subjected to substandard “constructivist” curriculum fraught with pornographic books and socialist propaganda. To what advantage would any American school teach Mandarin Chinese – one NY school is that is on the IB program – that is a course for college level.

    The IB program comes straight from Geneva and is political brainwashing for world government program and is under the direction of UNESCO and the UN. A quick visit to the http://www.ibo.org website to read their own documents will confirm this.

    This is a fact not based on “conjecture” or “Internet clippings” but International Baccalaureate Organization’s policy which our School Board refuses to address. The IBO’s stated mission is a political one and must be accepted by the school and IB teachers before any school can be allowed to run the IB program.

    Time to oust each School Board member who fails to address this simple question, especially those who sneer with contempt at the well-researched, rational, and intelligent testimony of concerned parents and taxpayers regarding the garbage that is being dispensed against our will, using hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars.

    The UN control of our schools is not “local control.” An expensive UN program is not needed in order to teach languages, math or about other cultures. This disturbing situation must end. It is time to take back local control of education.

    Wake UP!

  2. SHNative says:

    Sir…you sound like Senator McCarty.
    Mandarin Chinese is spoken by more people than any other language in the world by those in the country second largest economy?


Leave a Reply

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off-topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Terms of Service

Follow The Express…


Pictures of the Week - See all photos