Burglaries continue to plague Sag Harbor residents with four new reports logged with village police this week.
According to Sag Harbor Village Police Detective Jeffrey Proctor, new reports of burglaries are linked to previous cases in and around the village this summer.
On Wednesday, August 21 village police assisted Southampton Town Police with an investigation into a burglary on Middle Line Highway, which occurred between 12:45 a.m. and 1:30 a.m. just outside village boundaries. The Riverhead Town Police K-9 unit was brought in to aid in searching the area for suspect(s).
Some time between 9:30 p.m. that evening and 10:15 p.m., a burglary was reported at a Madison Street residence. On Thursday, August 22, police received a report from an Oakland Avenue resident who reported several items were taken from her home between August 20 and August 22. On Monday, August 26 at 2:41 p.m., a Concord Street resident also called police to report her home had also been burgled.
The reports follow a string of burglaries throughout Sag Harbor starting in early July with the thefts primarily involving alcohol being removed from residences. On Tuesday, Detective Proctor declined to reveal what items have been taken from homes this month in an effort not to compromise the ongoing investigation.
“We are recovering items from the sides of roadways and are continuing our investigation,” said Detective Proctor. “We do know for a fact that these incidents are all connected.”
Detective Proctor encouraged residents to remain vigilant, and call police if they see any suspicious persons in their neighborhood. Police have also asked anyone with information regarding this case contact them at 725-0247. All calls will be kept confidential.
In a separate, unrelated case, Southampton Town Police announced the arrest of four individuals on felony charges of burglary earlier this month.
On July 30, several subjects entered a Farmstead Lane, Water Mill property, using the pool and barbeque while helping themselves to food and beverages, according to a press release issued by police last week. After damaging the property, the subjects allegedly stole a flat screen television and jewelry from the home.
On August 3, police charged Tristan Tuching, 17, of Southampton, Michael Muller, 16, of Southampton and a juvenile with burglary in the second degree, a class C felony, and criminal mischief in the fourth degree, a class A misdemeanor in relation to the case.
An investigation is ongoing and police said they believe more subjects are involved. Anyone with additional information should call the Southampton Town Police Detective Division at 702-2230.
Southampton Town Police also announced they have charged a Rhode Island man with burglary and stalking in relation to a case involving the actress and singer Jennifer Lopez.
On August 8, workers at a Water Mill residence belonging to Lopez contacted police about a suspicious male on the property. John M. Dubis, 49, of Rhode Island, was found living in Lopez’s pool house, according to police. While Lopez was not at the residence at the time Dubis was discovered, the actress already had an Order of Protection in place against the man.
Detectives arrested Dubis for burglary in the second degree, a class C felony, criminal contempt in the first degree, a class E felony, stalking in the fourth degree, a class B misdemeanor, and possession of burglar tools, a class A misdemeanor.
On August 9, Dubis was arraigned in Southampton Town Justice Court where he pled not guilty and was remanded to Suffolk County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail. The court also ordered an exam to determine if Dubis is fit to stand trial scheduled him to return to Southampton Town Justice Court at a later date.