Jonathan Glynn Withdraws From Sag Harbor School Board Race

Posted on 30 April 2013

By Kathryn G. Menu

Jonathan Glynn has withdrawn his name from contention for one of four Sag Harbor School Board seats up for election on May 21.

Glynn announced his decision on Thursday morning, after being asked by Sag Harbor School District Clerk Mary Adamczyk for documentation showing his full time residence has been within the district for one year prior to the budget vote and trustee election — a district requirement.

This leaves six formal candidates for school board — incumbents Ed Drohan, Susan Kinsella and Chris Tice will seek re-election and former board member Daniel Hartnett, audit committee member David Diskin and attorney Thomas Re will also seek seats on the board.

According to Adamczyk, the deadline for petitions nominating candidates for office has been extended to Friday, May 10 at 5 p.m. Those petitions can be obtained at the district clerk’s office.

According to a press release issued by the district on Monday, the district reopened the timeframe to submit nominating petitions because Glynn had chosen to withdraw his nomination.

“Earlier this month the District Clerk received nominating petitions from candidates interested in running for the School Board,” reads the school district release. “She examined those petitions and attempted to verify that each of the candidates met the qualifications to be a member the Board of Education. One qualification for being a member of the School Board is that the candidate must be a resident of the Sag Harbor School District for at least one year prior to the election day of May 21, 2013. When attempting to confirm that candidate Jonathan Glynn met this qualification, it was discovered that he only recently became a registered voter in Sag Harbor School District on March 26, 2013.  Based upon that, the District Clerk contacted Mr. Glynn and requested verification of his residency status. With the assistance of the School District’s attorney, a letter was sent to Mr. Glynn requesting documentation of his residency. Ultimately, Mr. Glynn decided to withdraw his candidacy.”

According to a letter sent to Glynn by Adamczyk, Glynn was registered with the New York City Board of Elections from a Bleeker Street address through March of 2013. Glynn’s license, according to the correspondence, was also only recently updated as of April 2013 to reflect his Sag Harbor address.

According to the letter, all of Adamczyk’s research was based on public information gathered from various bodies in an effort to establish Glynn’s residency, a requirement of the district clerk.

In the letter, Adamczyk indicates she had asked Glynn to furnish tax returns showing a Sag Harbor address, but was told those too would be registered to the Manhattan address.

She asked Glynn provide written proof of his residency, based on the advice of the school district attorney, in order to provide Glynn every effort to verify his status as a resident of the Sag Harbor School District.  Adamczyk asked he provide that documentation by Friday afternoon.

In a response to Adamczyk, Glynn states his 2012 taxes are legally extended and in process to be filed from his Sag Harbor home, and that he has shown he was active year round resident for the last three years, a homeowner for 17 years. He noted his name was under consideration to fill the board position left with the resignation of Walter Wilcoxen nine months ago, but given the situation, had chosen to withdraw his candidacy.

“As a concerned citizen of the community I think I have been and will be effective as a full time resident from outside the board looking in and would not want to take up any more of your time, your lawyer’s time, or mine responding back and forth to questions and accusations concerning my residency that are unfounded and without merit,” said Glynn. “My central position is to not waste resources whether they be mine at home here in Sag Harbor or yours at the school.  I remain consistent with that position.”

According to state education law, if a candidate withdraws a nominating petition, the time for filing petitions should be extended to the 15th day after the day in which a candidate withdraws their name.

“This was required even though there were more candidates who initially filed petitions than vacancies on the Board,” reads the district’s press release. “Anyone interested in filing a nominating candidate petition should contact the District Clerk Mary Adamczyk, at (631) 725-5300, x1411, or madamczyk@sagharborschools.org.”

 

 

Be Sociable, Share!

This post was written by:

- who has written 2580 posts on The Sag Harbor Express.


Contact the author

Leave a Reply

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off-topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Terms of Service

Follow The Express…


Pictures of the Week - See all photos