Categorized | Page 1, Police News

Tags : ,

Police Identify Man Who Drowned Off Long Wharf

Posted on 07 November 2011

web Long Wharf

A New Jersey man visiting a family member’s Sag Harbor summer home with his fiancée last weekend, tumbled off the end of Long Wharf Saturday night and drowned.

Suffolk County Homicide Detectives identified the man as Christopher Valentine, 56, of Parsippany, N.J. There was no evidence of criminality, a spokesperson for the county homicide department said, and it appears as if Valentine, who was at the end of the wharf with his fiancée, fell into the water accidentally. The spokesperson said Valentine had been drinking and was likely intoxicated at the time.

Sag Harbor Village Police confirmed Valentine’s death on Monday morning, and due to the nature of the incident, referred the case to Suffolk County Homicide. The local department regularly refers such cases to the county for investigation.

Valentine and his fiancée — whom police are not identifying —  had walked together to the end of the wharf shortly before 9 p.m. and sat for a while on the bench in the northwest corner of the wharf, police reported. A short time later he fell into the water, estimated to be about 60 degrees, but it is unclear how that occurred. It is also unclear how long Valentine was in the water.

According to Sag Harbor Police Detective Paul Fabiano, a passing motorist notified police about the incident. Sources also indicate the woman was apparently injured in a fall on the wharf, although she never wound up in the water.

The man was pulled from the water by Sag Harbor Police with the aid of the Sag Harbor Harbor Master, and taken by the Sag Harbor Volunteer Ambulance Corps — who performed CPR in an attempt to revive him — to Southampton Hospital for medical treatment. He was pronounced dead at 10:50 p.m.

The case is still under investigation with the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s office and the homicide squad. Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact Detective Jeffrey Proctor of the Sag Harbor Police Department, 725-0623. All calls will remain confidential.

36 Responses to “Police Identify Man Who Drowned Off Long Wharf”

1. Stuart says:

Rest in Peace Chris. Your sincere warmth will be dearly missed by all. GODS speed.

2. Brian says:

Unmistakable smile, unmistakable laugh. You will be sorely missed everyday by those who had the pleasure of working with you.

3. Shane says:

Chris Valentine was one of the most friendly, nicest and genuine guys I’ve ever met. Chris was always willing to lend a hand to anyone. In all of the years I’ve known him, I don’t think I EVER heard him make a negative comment about anyone. He loved his family very much, and I think he loved everyone else he knew. I’ll never forget you, my friend.

4. Kwesi says:

Chris your smile will be dearly missed .Rest in peace you will be sorely missed by your co-workers . we will never forget you, Chris

5. Lynn Morton says:

Rest in peace!

6. Bob says:

I’m saddened at the loss of my friend Chris. You will be dearly missed my friend.

7. Donna says:

God bless, god speed….such a good spirited , kind hearted gentleman.
    Prayers and warm wishes to all … Especially the Valentine Family
    during this time of loss.

8. Nina Valentine says:

On behalf of the Valentine family, we thank everyone for their condolenses. Reading these warm comments brings comfort to all of us.
    His viewing will be held Sunday, November 13th from 4 PM to 6 PM and the funeral will be held Monday, November 14th at 12 noon.
    Martin’s Home for Services. 48 Elm St. Montclair, NJ 07042.

9. Tim says:

I will never forget you my friend, You were truely one of a kind! Your in God’s hands now..Rest in Peace

10. Anita Van Hook says:

Always a friendly hello, always willing to lend a hand. You will be dearly missed. I will always remember how neatly dressed you always were and how impressed I was that you pressed your jeans! Rest in peace friend.

11. Agnes Nikodem says:

Chris Valentine was a great, friendly guy. Always willing to help anyone in need. Also hard working employee. I will miss your smiles Chris! You are in my thoughts every day. I will never forget You my dearest friend and co-worker… Rest in peace now.
    My deepest prayers and warm wishes to the Valentine Family. I cant imagine your pain… :(

12. Rolando says:

Chris valantine was a very nice person.friendly.Im saddened at the lost my friend Chris,will never forget you,rest in peace friend

13. Nancy says:

Valentine Family,

I was so very surprised and sad to hear about Chris’s passing. Chris was a great guy to work with. Never without a smile!

You have my heartfelt sympathy at this very sad and difficult time.

14. Tony Nowakowski says:

Chris: You cannot imagine how much it hurts to lose someone as special and genuine as you. You will be missed every day of my life and you’ll never be forgotten. Thanks for being such a great friend to me. Rest in peace. God Bless you buddy.

15. John H. says:

I will never foget you my friend Valentine,a great friend,great co- worker.Rest in peace my friend you are in God’s hands now.

16. Jordan Johnson says:

Grampy:
    My grandfather the first person who taut me how to fish when I was only seven.
    My grandfather is the person who makes me who I am now because how kind and considered he was to other people.
    My grandfather is the person I could call and ask for advice no matter what time it is.
    My grandfather I never got to say this to him but I love him so much he will never be forgotten.
    My grandfather is an extraordinary man that I will always miss and look up to.
    My grandfather I will exceedingly miss, if he chose anyway to loose his life, I think it would be by putting his life in jeopardy for some one else’s.

17. Cris was a wonderful person who I had the pleasure of working with.
    He never passed you without a smile on his face and a hello.
    My condolenses go out to your family.
    God is welcoming you with open arms.

18. thelma says:

U will be missed. GOD bless

19. lorraine says:

So sad, such a gentle kind man. You will be missed. Rest in peace, gentle man.

20. viola williams says:

R.I.p chris you will be dearley missed keep smileing as always

21. jose A. says:

It’s sad to know that you are gone. It’s unfortunate to lose a great guy with an endless
    smile. You will be dearly missed. Rest in peace in the kingdom of God.

22. Helen Poplawski says:

Chris always had a contagious smile that would never go away. He would always say “Hello” to you no matter who you were, whether you knew him or not. I worked with Chris for a couple of years on the offshift hours and just from getting to know him he was truly one of a kind, very friendly and a very helpful person. Words cannot explain how dearly Chris will be missed by all who knew him and those who got to know him. With heartfelt and deepest sympathy goes out to the “Valentine Family” at this very sad and difficult time. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Rest in Peace Chris.

23. debbie g. says:

chris — you always had a smile and welcoming “good morning” to me as we changed shifts — i will always remember that — i am sure you are now welcoming newcomers to heaven where you surely are — i will miss you very much

24. Selena Valentine says:

My family appreciates all of the endearing responses. My dad was a wonderful man who always cared for his family. He was not only our dad but also a close friend and confidant we could always depend on. Our lives will never be the same without him but the wonderful memories of him will always remain.

25. Valerie says:

Chris, You were one of my first friends and you taught me how to swim. For me you were and will always be the spirit of Sag Harbor. I will greatly miss you. So sad how the good die much too young. Those of us who knew you were so very blessed by your kind and gentle spirit. Rest in peace and my prayers go out to your family.

26. JKelly says:

over 35 yrs my friend…never a bad word about anybody…always a smile to greet you…May your heart and soul find peace and comfort….

27. Thank you all for sharing your memories of my father. He was a great role model for all the men in my family to follow. Daddy, I miss you more than you can imagine. The hurt I feel is indescribable.
    I will miss your giggle, smile and your corny jokes that I cant help but laugh at. We were so blessed to have such a caring and loving father. We will continue to make you proud…

28. Gail Willis says:

Chris; You were always so very kind and a true gentleman. Always ready with a smile and the time to lend a hand. I will miss you..

29. Lillian McDonald says:

My deepest sympathy goes out to the family at this very difficult time.
    My prayers are with you today and always. May the sweet memories of this wonderful man comfort you in the days to come.

30. Christine S. says:

Chris my friend….. There’s not enough words to express my feelings. You are going to be missed so deeply, so much… For all the years I’ve known you, you always had that smile, kindness, friendliest, genuine personality. You will be missed……
    To the “Valentine Family” – My heartfelt and deepest sympathy at this very sad and difficult time. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Rest in Peace Chris.

31. Lindsey johnson says:

My grandfather was a really really really awesome man.
    He bought me almost every thing.
    I remember when we went to mc donalds and he bought me chicken nuggets a juice and a toy and he bought every body else a chicken sandwich and pay almost all his money on us that was very thoutfull.
    I remeber the day he took me to the peer and took me fishing with the big dog fishing pole but we didn’t get any fish so we went to a other peer were they had a lot of fish and we caught like 20 fish.it was fun!
    The point is that i miss grampy and he was a loving grandfather to me and i miss him very very very very much he is number 1# :-( love you grampy

32. Rio Gran says:

Im going to miss my friend, Chris. He was always helpful to everyone. It was a great pleasure to work with him. God Bless, rest in peace.

33. Tiffany Mitchell says:

I am sadenned of the passing of Mr. Valentine. I’ve only known him for a short time, and I can honestly say that he was one of the most kindest, giving, sweetest man to have known. My condolences to The Valentine Family for your loss. My thoughts are with you, and Mr. Valentine will surely be missed.

34. Suzette Person says:

My good friend Chris… Always happy always with a smile!!!
    I’ve had the pleasure of working with Chris for a while on the mid-shift, and he was a very nice, sweet, and humble man. To which whom i will never forget. I was so very surprised and sad to hear about Chris passing.
    I knew when Chris came to work, the work would get out!!! All who worked at “TAG” know what i am talking about.
    Anyone who had the pleasure of knowing Chris words cannot explain how dearly he will be missed.
    To the “Valentine Family”- My heartfelt and deepest sympathy at this very sad and difficult time. God Bless, rest in peace.

35. Kay Valentine says:

“Today a new sun rises for me; everything is animated, everything seems to speak to me of my passion, everything invites me to cherish it.” It”s inconceivable to imagine the needless death off such a devoted husband and father Chris, who was an avid swimmer. He was a wonderful, exceptional,and loving person. We spent many, many, many, yrs of laughing, loving, and crying together. He leaves behind five wonderful children and five loving grandchildren. As each new sun rises it will be a new beginning of a chapter in our lives without him. Continously! we will cherish the animations of the good memories in our heart and minds forever………….

36. E.Johnson says:

Chris was a very sincere man. Always smiling and approachable. Cared for his children very much and it always showed. I was really sad to hear the news as was his grand kids and those that knew and loved Chris. My condolences to the family.