Man Pinned Under Car in Sag Harbor

Posted on 29 February 2012

Pinned Under Car II

By Claire Walla

Some still say they are mystified as to how it happened, but Sag Harbor Village Police confirmed on Wednesday that Christopher Rolf, 59, of Bridgehampton was pinned under his own vehicle, a black Porsche Cayenne, outside Chopping Charlie’s on Long Island Avenue last Tuesday, February 28.

Jodi Cesta, 22, was in the area when she heard the accident, and was one of the first to arrive on the scene after it happened.

“I looked left and then I looked right, and all of a sudden he was underneath [the car],” she said.

Cesta went over to Rolf and said she and about five other people tried to extricate his pant leg from under the car’s left front tire.

“We all tried lifting the car up, but it wouldn’t lift off the guy,” she said. The group also attempted to use a jack, found in the man’s car, to lift the front bumper, but that proved fruitless, as well.

“He was just looking at me in the eyes, I’ll never forget that look,” she continued. “Like, please, you have to help me.”

Sag Harbor Fire Department, Sag Harbor Ambulance crews and Sag Harbor Village Police arrived on the scene and ultimately, Cesta said, EMS crews ended up borrowing her knife to cut the Rolf’s pant leg and free him from beneath the vehicle.

According to Sag Harbor Village Police Chief Tom Fabiano, who spoke to Rolf at the scene of the accident, Rolf was trying to see whether or not a store was open at the time the incident occurred.

“He had gotten out of the car and apparently the car was not in park, it was probably in reverse,” said Fabiano.

At that point, Fabiano noted, the car began to move and “he went back to try to stop it.” However, one of Rolf’s legs became caught beneath the front left tire of the vehicle, leaving him trapped beneath the wheel of his car.

According to Sag Harbor Fire Chief Pete Garypie, after part of Rolf’s pant leg was cut away and his leg was successfully removed from beneath the front left tire of the vehicle, Rolf was airlifted to Stony Brook Hospital.

Officials say Rolf remained fully conscious throughout the ordeal, but suffered damage to his pelvis.

12 Responses to “Man Pinned Under Car in Sag Harbor”

1. j. Cody says:

there was a young girl at the scene who did a GREAT job of helping out before the first responders arrived, cool head and very smart…..hope you got your knife back.

2. g.b. says:

Having also been one of the first on the scene, this was a mystifying accident (not that I’ve seen many): One of the man’s shoes was about 20 feet away. I think I heard the car’s engine accelerate before the “bang” of the car’s back end hitting the bricks. The man was alone, and managed to run himself over. The car was in reverse when we got to it, and yes, it was against the brick wall. It seemed that the man’s left leg might have been run over, which would fit with the car being in reverse. I am still trying to figure out how the driver got run over by his own car. At the time we got there, it seemed that only his sweat pants were caught under the tire, not his leg. I’ve been trying to figure out the missing pieces all night, and am still scratching my head.

3. Seen It says:

Although uncommon, people do get run over by their own vehicles. Usually entering or exiting the car while it’s still in gear. I saw a guy one time trying to stop his truck with his foot outside the cab. Doesn’t work. I guess he thought he was Fred Flintstone!

4. N681AS says:

I was the girl there, no i didnt get my knife back, no worries tho, as long as i could help. as for the man, accidents happen and thats why they are called accidents. its what we can do after the accident that really matters. yes, the man didnt know it was in reverse and tried to stop it and hit the gas by accident. I feel horrible for the guy, i really hope he is okay. its nice to see people can come together to help a stranger out, just sad it was to tragic. like i said reallllllyyy hope hes okay.

5. N681AS says:

lol what a weird article. i sound like a creep.

6. SagHarborPride says:

Great job to Jodi Cesta! It’s awesome to hear about fellow citizens helping each other. I think it’s awesome a bit strange that the SH EMTs or FD members don’t carry pocket knives. Perhaps a new policy will be put in to place since this incident.

7. mtb says:

SagHarborPride, I think you are confused with the way the article was written. Ms. Cesta was the only one with a knife before fire and emt arrived. The majority of firefighters and emt’s carry either a knife or some sort of cutting shears on them.

8. Karin says:

Its a shame that the statement about a knife being borrowed is included in this article, making it look as though our local, hard-working volunteers are ill-equipped to handle all emergency situations. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Another job well done, SH Amb, FD, and PD. We are lucky to have to on any emergency scene (within minutes!).

9. N681AS says:

karin, our “hard working local volunteers, that are ill-equipped to handle all emergency situations” could possibly be the RUDEST people i’ve ever met. from that lady screaming for everybody to shut the F up to bruce stafford telling me “yeah well you know what, no body gives a damn.” after i had nicely asked for my knife back after the guy was already put in the ambulance and on his way. you people should stop complaining and be a litter nicer to everyone. i mean you guys really have nothing better to do than sit here and analyze every word of the story that was written. remember it was a news reporter who wrote this. they like to stretch the truth!

10. bruce stafford says:

To whom asked for the knife back,you must be confused to whom you asked to get it back and if you want me to buy you another just ask.I guess you were only thinking about yourself and not the victim.

11. E.M. Maxx says:

Clearly Mr.Stafford doesn’t like it when people ” keep it real……”

12. SagHarborPride says:

MTB – I think you are confused.. Ms. Cesta stated: “It was weird, nobody else had a knife except me,” said Cesta, a landscaper, who added that she carries the lime-green knife with her at all times. “I just hope he’s ok.”

That was AFTER the EMT and FD arrived.